Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

Textured Fall Head Wrap or Scarflette




I found this fuzzy textured yarn... it has been the rage for several years for those long skinny scarves; you know the ones! Anyway, I was inspired by the fall colors of the yarn... I added a strand of a German Crazy Zauberball self striping wool sock yarn to it for extra color.. Look closely and you will see a bit of blue in it! I also had in mind adding a natural fiber to the poly/acrylic stuff to give it (an me) integrity.... :D
The design is straightforward to knit; simply cast on three stitches, then add one stitch at each end on every row as in "K1, M1, K,... rib knit to the other side ending with P,K, M1, K1... yes, I increased on every row. Keep going until you are done, then stop! Mine ended up being about 8" x 20" excluding the braids.
Bind off loosely; add braided ties. The size is perfect for a head wrap or tied loosely at the neck for a pop of color over a jacket or sweater.
The uneven number of stitches resulted in an edge of knit 3.. with K1,P1 rib knit throughout. I had in mind to knit until the scarflette was wide enough to tie around the neck but changed my mind when nearing the end of the skein.
I liked the idea of the pop of color in the braided ties.
For the ties I wrapped yarn from hand over elbow and back again for 36 strands; cut; divide shaded yarns equally for each side. Slip the strands through the end of the scarflette and with ends even, begin braiding. You can be obsessive compulsive and count out even numbers of colors for the three strands or let them come as the fall... I fall into the obsessive compulsive route, so there ya are!
Happy knitting!

No comments: