Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

So... advancing in age as we are... we figured that there would be no better time to hike a bit of the Pacific Crest Trail.... it won't be easier next year, after all!!
Gathering up the newest equipment was the fun part! Lots of new lightweight things to get... I treated myself to the newest lightweight thermarest sleeping pad, coming in at 14 oz..... good thing! My pack weighed over 40 lbs, even after ditching some stuff the night before heading out. However, I must confess that some of the ditched items found their way back into my pack before we left. :D
We chose the section of the PCT nearest as we were shuttled back and forth.... beginning at Grouse Gap, about 10 miles east of Mt Ashland, and hiking to Wrangle Gap... about 10 miles or so. Didn't seem like so much, but it took us all day! When we thought we should be almost there we realized we had to go around Red Mtn... more uphill!! But the campsite at Wrangle Gap was great! So great, in fact, that we decided to stay put for 4 days; then hiked back out the way we came. Next year: lighter packs, and another section. At this rate, we will be hiking for 170 years to finish the 1700 mile PCT!!
While camping I knitted until I ran out of yarn.. I had taken only one ball of sock yarn, and knitted up some mini stockings with it. (It was worth its weight in the pack, believe me!)
:D

No comments: